Other information and services: www.belgium.be

Return to Ukraine

Flag Ukraine

1. Is returning to Ukraine possible?

Yes, returning to Ukraine is possible? Fedasil can help with that.
Returning independently by your own means is also possible.

Who is it for?

2.    For whom is it possible to return to Ukraine?

  • For Ukrainians who decide to return to their country of origin.
  • For third-country nationals with legal residence in Ukraine who decide to return to Ukraine.

3.     Is return to Ukraine with Fedasil support possible for unaccompanied minors?

Each application is examined individually to evaluate whether return is possible. The return of an unaccompanied minor also requires formal consent from the guardian and parents. If necessary, a social escort is available to accompany the unaccompanied minor during the trip.


4.    To which cities in Ukraine is return possible with Fedasil support?

Fedasil currently only supports return via bus. At present, the following cities are accessible: Kiev, Ivano-Frankivsk, Lviv, Ternopil, Zhytomyr, Mukachevo, Novohrad-Volynskyi, Uman, Rivne, Stryi, Uzhhorod, Vinnytsia.

5.    As a national of another third country, can you return to your country of origin with support from Fedasil? 

Yes, third-country nationals from a country other than Ukraine can return to their home country with Fedasil support. Additional reintegration support may be available through Caritas International or the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

More info: www.voluntaryreturn.be or call the free number 0800 327 45. 



6.    Do you have to pay for the return trip?

If your application is approved, Fedasil will pay for the bus trip between Belgium and Ukraine. 

7.    Is any support provided?

If your application is approved, Fedasil will pay for the bus trip and a return bonus will be provided in cash (adult €50 / child €25). This money can be spent, for example, on food or on further transport from the bus's final stop to the ultimate destination. 

For returnees with certain vulnerabilities, limited reintegration support may be provided locally in Ukraine. For each application, an individual assessment will be made to determine whether this is possible and what support can be provided. This involves material and practical support provided by the local partner of Caritas International, for example to start your own business, rent or renovate a home and pay medical expenses. 

8.    Is it possible to be supervised on the return journey (e.g. for people with disabilities or an unaccompanied minor)? 

For each application, Fedasil will consider whether supervision is necessary and possible. 
An escort is only possible up to the border and not into Ukraine itself.

Requesting support with return

9.     How do you apply for voluntary return support?

Call the free number 0800 327 45 for more information and to make an appointment. 
Contact one of the 5 return desks directly (Brussels, Ghent, Antwerp, Liège, Charleroi).

Preparation and course of travel

10.     What travel documents do you need?

A valid international passport is required to return, which is available from the embassy.

11.     How much luggage can you take?

The bus company's luggage rules will apply. 

12.     How will the return trip proceed?

Fedasil will help with booking the return trip. 
The journey is by bus: there are daily buses (Flixbus, Connections) to various cities in Ukraine (Kiev, Ivano-Frankivsk, Lviv, Ternopil, etc.). The buses will leave from the Brussels-South or Brussels-North train stations, sometimes with a stop in Liège.

13.     How long do you have to wait to leave?

Fedasil depends on the bus companies for this period. Currently, there is a high demand for travel to the region, so places are limited. Fedasil will book a ticket as soon as seats are available.

14.     Can your pet return with you?

No. For safety reasons, no pets may be transported on the Flixbus. There is an exception for assistance dogs accompanying a passenger with a disability and when stated in an official medical statement or certificate.

Consequences in Belgium

15.     What happens to your temporary protection status and to your residence (A card) if you return to Ukraine?

If you return to Ukraine for a short period of time, you do not lose your temporary protection status or your right of residence in Belgium. The normal rules around absence and return apply. The period of absence may last up to three months. If you want to be absent for more than three months, you must notify the municipality for your place of residence and your residence card A must still be valid upon return. You must also notify the municipality upon your return to Belgium.

Please note! If you are a recognised refugee or have subsidiary protection, you run the risk of losing this status if you travel to your country of origin.

If you decide to leave Belgium permanently, the temporary protection and the right to stay in Belgium may cease. If you still decide to return to Belgium afterwards and stay here for more than three months, you will have to reapply for protection status or a residence permit.

16.     How does this affect your equivalent living wage?

If you return to Ukraine, you will be staying abroad and you are obliged to inform your social worker from the Public Centre for Social Welfare (OCMW/CPAS). 

If your stay abroad is temporary, the OCMW/CPAS will check whether you still need help and whether the conditions for receiving assistance are still being met. If they judge that you no longer need help, they may suspend the equivalent integration income. Most OCMWS’/CPAS apply the rule that your equivalent integration income can be suspended if you are absent for more than 28 days. The OCMW/CPAS is not obliged to do so and may take exceptional circumstances into account. It is therefore important to inform your social worker about this.

If you leave Belgium permanently, you no longer meet the condition of residence in Belgium. You will then no longer be entitled to equivalent integration income. 

17.      What steps should you take when you leave Belgium? 

It is important that your social circles and government services are well aware of your absence, especially if you will be away for an extended period of time.Inform your social worker at the OCMW/CPAS.

Notify the municipality where you reside of your absence and of your intention to return. Even if you will only be absent for a few weeks, it may be helpful to notify the municipality to avoid any ambiguities or problems. If you will be absent for more than three months, this is mandatory. If your residence card expires during your absence, apply for an early renewal, if the situation permits. 

Inform the individuals or government agency where you are being received and make specific arrangements for your absence and return. 

18.     Can you come back to Belgium after returning to Ukraine? 

Returning to Belgium is possible. If you return, you must take the necessary steps to get your status, equivalent integration income and any other rights back in order yourself. If you were absent for more than three months, you must contact the municipality for your place of residence within fifteen days of returning to Belgium. It is also best to contact your social worker at the OCMW/CPAS and any other agencies that may be important to you as soon as possible. 

If you have lost your status or right of residence during your absence, you may have to submit a new application to obtain right of residence.


19.     More information on voluntary return?